Friday, August 20, 2010

Going to the Market

There are many things that form part of my every day life here in Guatemala that I forget aren't so typical in other parts of the world, especially back in my home state of North Dakota.  One of those things is the market.  Actually, I live close to several markets (though most of them operate on special days of the week).  The two markets I frequent most are in Santa Lucía Utatlán, which is super close to my house, and Sololá, which is a bit further away but much bigger.  I almost never take pictures when I do my market shopping because....I guess it would feel awkward, like I was taking pictures inside a supermarket back home.  Luckily the Canadian volunteer group left me some of their pictures, which included trips to the market.  This way I share with you all a glimpse of how I find, barter and buy my veggies, fruits and random household goods. (Thanks Evelyn and Nikki for the pics!)

Here is the side ally of the market in Santa on a typical Sunday morning.

The usual table of dried fish and unidentified smelly things.

Cute couple from Sololá selling produce from their garden.

The day this picture was taken I got my potatoes for Q2 a pound (about $.25).

Baskets at the market can hold a variety of things, sometimes still living, like chickens!

Just cause you're selling at the market doesn't mean you're cut off from the world.

So on market days the open air part is much bigger than the physical market, which is housed in a building.  In Sololá there are many distribuidors in the market building that sell goods for daily consumption.

You can get your bananas and turn right around to get your meat.

To cook really good black beans a clay pot is a must have.  Don't scoff.  I'm serious.  Maybe I've turned in to a black bean snob, but I can totally tell if you made your beans in a pressure cook and didn't add onion, garlic and apasote.

Need a pair of shoes?  The fake tennis shoes are most likely from China and don't last very long.

Fajas...the belts that hold up the women's cortes.

Masks for any occasion...I'm pretty sure these represent the different mayan nahuales.

I'll never get tired of seeing the beautiful fabrics in this country.

And since the market can be overly stimulating at times, with so much to see and so much going on, just take a break and put your head down :)

No comments:

Post a Comment